When it comes to keeping your overall health, mood and memory in tiptop shape, we’ve long known that if you don’t snooze, you lose. Skipping out on Zzzs can affect your body and mind’s performance from the inside out—and the consequences for your skin are no exception. In fact, they go well beyond the telltale dark circles and sleep creases that fade.
A 2015 study partially sponsored by the Sleep School in London found that missing just two hours of sleep for less than a week can spell serious trouble for your complexion—specifically, an increase in wrinkles, bacteria and blemishes. These findings support a 2013 study by University Hospitals Case Medical Center, which revealed that sleep-deprived women (ages 30 to 49) showed signs of premature skin aging (fine lines, uneven pigmentation and reduced skin elasticity) and a decrease in their skin’s ability to recover after sun exposure.
Whether you’re a man or woman, sleep is essential to good health and good skin. The skin “rests” at night, which means cells undergo repair and turn over slightly faster, helping your face look bright and refreshed. Just because your fall calendar is filling up and back-to-school schedules have you tempted to burn the candle at both ends, try not to let your skin suffer. Check out these tips for getting a good night’s sleep (plus a few tricks to make those precious hours of slumber work harder for your skin).
How To Maximize Your Beauty Rest
- Remove TVs, electronic devices and digital clocks from the bedroom to create a calm, comfortable environment. (The white noise app can stay.)
- Keep the bed warm and the room cool. Our skin temperature increases during sleep, so skin absorbs products better.
- Apply REDEFINE ACUTE CARE™ Skincare for Expression Lines with peptides and hyaluronic acid three nights a week for four weeks to diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and create a more younger-looking you.
- Avoid coffee and alcohol four to six hours before bedtime.
- Reduce puffiness in the a.m. with a dose of caffeine—on the eyes. Steep two black tea bags in hot water for three minutes, then cool in the fridge and apply to eyelids.
- Amp up your daily skincare routine with REDEFINE AMP MD™ Micro-Exfoliating Roller and Night Renewing Eye Serum for firmer-looking skin.
- For daily skincare concerns, select the Regimen that’s right for your skin: UNBLEMISH to treat acne and breakouts; SOOTHE for sensitivity; REVERSE to diminish the appearance of discoloration; and REDEFINE to target aging concerns.
SHARE this article with someone who could use some motivation to get more shut-eye.