In the not-too-distant past, there were really only two ways to make your eyelashes appear thicker, longer and darker, and both were temporary: mascara or false lashes. These days, there are more modern, longer-lasting options, including lash extensions and our lash conditioning serum, Lash Boost.
If you’re considering an upgrade to one of these newer choices, R+F expert-in-residence Mary Radford, RN, recommends that you make your decision based on the results you’re hoping for and the time commitment that makes the most sense for you.
“Lash extensions are individual fibers (either natural or synthetic) that are attached to your natural lashes at a salon,” says Mary.
Lash Extensions may be right for you if:
- You want instant gratification. “You immediately see a dramatic difference with extensions,” says Mary, making them a great option for a special event that’s coming up soon.
- Expense isn’t an issue. “An initial set of lash extensions can cost hundreds of dollars,” Mary says. Plus, there’s the additional cost for maintenance appointments every 2-3 weeks.
- You have time for upkeep. “Salon application can take up to an hour, and requires you to return regularly to maintain your lash extensions.”
- You don’t mind a lengthier routine. “You must be gentle with your lash extensions lest they — or your natural lashes underneath — fall out.” This might slow down your makeup and cleansing routines, but is necessary to keep your lash extensions in prime condition.
- You prefer an edgier look. “Depending on the style, lash extensions can look overtly faux,” Mary says. If you intend your look to be dramatic, you can match the length and fullness of your extensions to match.
Rodan + Fields Lash Boost
“Rodan + Fields Lash Boost is a conditioning serum,” explains Mary. “Applied to your natural lash line each night, it will make your lashes appear fuller, longer and darker over time.”
Lash Boost may be right for you if:
- You prefer a natural look. “The lashes you see are your real lashes,” Mary says, ensuring they won’t look fake.
- You prefer to minimize maintenance. “Applying Lash Boost is quick and requires no salon appointment,” Mary notes. Once you achieve results, you can apply Lash Boost less frequently.
- You’re consistent. “You have to apply the product regularly, as directed,” Mary points out, so consistency is key.
- You want to condition additional areas. “You can also use Lash Boost on your brows to improve their appearance over time,” Mary says.
- You’re willing to invest time in real results. “It takes 4-8 weeks to see visible results,” Mary says, noting that the results are long lasting.
Whichever route you take today, keep in mind that the appearance of longer, fuller lashes that are 100% real and 100% yours is an investment many feel is definitely worth making.
Learn more about Rodan+Fields Lash Boost.