While breakouts are often more frequent during the (hot, sticky) summer months, when oil-production can shift into overdrive, cold weather can also do a number on acne-prone skin. According to our Director of Product Education, Mary Radford, RN, acne doesn’t hibernate in the winter – so read on to discover the top three reasons hydration is key.
- Dry winter weather can cause clogged pores. According to Mary, “cold weather can decrease surface moisture and a build-up of dry skin cells can clog pores and lead to more irritation and blemishes.” This means that keeping blemish-prone skin hydrated throughout the winter is as important — and maybe even more so — as it is the rest of year. One of the most effective ways to increase hydration levels is to add Active Hydration Serum to your UNBLEMISH Regimen. We know this might sound a little scary if you have oily skin, but believe it or not, this oil-free, non-comedogenic (aka non-pore-clogging) serum will not cause breakouts and can actually help balance your complexion. It may sound counterintuitive, but hydration is often what oily skin needs. To whisk away dry skin cells that can contribute to winter dullness, Mary also recommends gently massaging ENHANCEMENTS Micro-Dermabrasion Paste over wet skin two to three times a week.
- Oily skin overcompensates when it’s dry. When skin becomes dry courtesy of the weather and harsh indoor heat, oil glands are stimulated to coat and protect your skin. This boomerang effect usually leads to over cleansing, which exasperates the oil imbalance. The good news is that when used with the UNBLEMISH Regimen, Active Hydration Serum helps balance oil, dryness and blotchiness. Apply it after cleansing and toning, and before UNBLEMISH Dual Intensive Acne Treatment, for skin that looks balanced, smoother, softer and more radiant.
- Hydration dissipates faster in cold weather. The same dry air that causes all of the above issues can also affect the products you use to stay hydrated. Active Hydration Serum instantly raises skin hydration by 200% after just one use and keeps it there for up to eight hours* — and doesn’t feel heavy on your skin. UNBLEMISH users who added Active Hydration Serum to their Regimen as part of an 8-week clinical study achieved the following results:
– 100% had more radiant skin
– 81% had softer skin
– 75% had smoother skin
– 88% had less oily skin (t-zone)
– 81% had less dry skin
– 75% had less blotchy skin
Active Hydration Serum can be used with your UNBLEMISH Regimen up to twice per day to help your skin look and feel its best – start by adding it to your AM Regimen and if you need more hydration, incorporate it into your PM routine. Make sure to follow up with the Oil Control Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 20, as you need both the hydration and the sun protection it offers. And while it’s perfectly fine to apply your products with clean hands, Mary sends a friendly reminder for the rest of the day: Don’t touch your face. Constant pressure and friction from holding your phone can trigger acne or irritation that ultimately leads to breakouts, so go hands-free and spare your skin any extra influences.
How has your skin’s appearance improved after adding Active Hydration Serum to your UNBLEMISH Regimen? Tell us in the comments!
*Based on an 8-day, US clinical study