If a summer getaway is in your future, you probably have a packing list of must-have items: Your phone, summer reading, passport, sandals, etc.
What else is a must-pack? Skincare. Your skin can look as good as you’ll be feeling during your vacation with these helpful travel tips from Rodan + Fields Product Content Director Mary Radford, RN:
1. Wear SPF at all times. Don’t forget to wear sunscreen on the plane: Your skin is exposed to harmful UV rays at high altitudes. Once you land, be sure to apply SPF even if it’s cloudy. Use a teaspoon’s worth for your face and about a shotglass’ worth for your body, and reapply every two hours or after swimming or sweating. And while you should always wear a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses and protective clothing, these precautions alone aren’t enough. “You can still get a sunburn through thin T-shirts and gauzy cover-ups, so protect your skin with SPF underneath,” Mary says.
2. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Airplane air is about as dry as it gets. “Protect your skin and body against desert-level dryness by drinking a lot of water before, during and after your flight,” advises Mary. To help prevent skin from feeling dry and flaky at 30,000 feet, deeply hydrate with an intense body product like Rodan + Fields Active Hydration Body Replenish before you board, then keep the hydration going by reapplying once you’re on the ground.
3. Stick to your Regimen. It’s fine to use hotel shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. But your skin will thank you if you bring a travel-size version of your Rodan + Fields Regimen along on your vacation.
4. Go for a healthier glow. Use a self-tanner before you leave, and bring it with you if you want to boost your color while you’re away. “Whatever you do, resist the urge to lie out in the sun,” says Mary.
5. Shield your lips. “It’s easy to forget about this super-sensitive and delicate area,” acknowledges Mary. “But lips need protection, too.” Keep a lip balm with SPF handy so you can reapply it throughout the day. Pro tip from Mary: If you’ve brought an ice chest with you to the beach or pool, toss in your lip balm to prevent it from melting. “Keep it cool, and it will last through your entire trip,” Mary says, “and maybe even the next one.”
Now it’s time to get packing! Which Rodan + Fields product would you never go on vacation without?