How to cope when freezing weather has left your face rough, your lips chapped and your hands dry? We asked Rodan + Fields product expert-in-residence Mary Radford, RN, for some cold-weather tips. Ready to winterize?
- Face the cold. “Rosy cheeks and tight-feeling skin are signals that mean it’s time for extra hydration,” Mary says. Start from the inside out by drinking plenty of water. Then, if you don’t already use them all year round, incorporate our Active Hydration Serum and Active Hydration Bright Eye Complex into your Rodan + Fields skincare Regimen. These products are suitable for any skin type, even sensitive and acne-prone
. Don’tskip your lips. Keep them smooth and moisturized with Lip Renewing Serum. During the day, layer ESSENTIALS Lip Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 25 on top.
- Exfoliate. If your skin is dry all over, Mary recommends gently sloughing away dead skin cells one to three times a week with Micro-Dermabrasion Paste. After you exfoliate, hydrate and moisturize with Active Hydration Body Replenish.
- Use sunscreen. Three hundred and sixty-five days a year. Seven days a week. Winter or summer. Each of our Regimens comes with its own daily broad-spectrum sunscreen. For an extra layer of SPF and a little sheer tint, add Radiant Defense Perfecting Liquid on top of that. And don’t forget to protect any exposed skin from your neck down with ESSENTIALS Body Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30.
- How about those hands? Moisturize and protect with our REDEFINE Hand Treatment Regimen—and keep your hands covered with gloves if it’s really cold.
- Stay healthy. A red nose and sniffles don’t look good on anyone. Avoid colds and flu by washing your hands frequently, Mary advises — especially before touching your face.
Above all, Mary says, go into winter with a strategy. “Skin, lips and nails look and feel drier when they’re exposed to the cold outdoors and the toasty, dry heat indoors,” she explains. “You know that is coming — so plan ahead!”
Share your best winter skin advice in the comments!