For many years, women believed they could do little or nothing about the state of their skin and the ravages of aging. Today, we now understand that genetics account for just 20% of visible aging changes, and the remaining 80% depends on habits and lifestyle. By becoming an active participant in the quest for healthier, more attractive skin, we all have the opportunity to look and feel as young as we choose.
Want to add glowing skin to your list of things to be grateful for this season? Start by feeding your face a balanced, healthy diet. Findings from two recent studies indicate the better you eat, the better you will sleep and the more healthy and youthful your complexion will look. To learn more about the effect of diet on sleep patterns, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine studied the daily calories and foods consumed by people who were part of the 2007-2009 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. They also studied how much sleep the participants reported getting each night.
Everything from lack of sleep and a poor diet to chronic rubbing from allergies, to loss of fat or thinning of skin caused by sun exposure and aging can contribute to the puffiness and dark circles that make your eyes look and feel more ghoulish than human. If sufficient beauty sleep won’t help, try watching what you eat. Salty foods and alcohol cause water retention, resulting in puffy, baggy eyes. If you have allergies, take an antihistamine to minimize your allergic reaction, and the itching, rubbing and redness that come with it.
For many of us, fall means one thing—football. While aggression on the football field can be a champion-maker, when it comes to your face, rough play is best left on the field. According to our two favorite complexion coaches, the most common mistake people make when it comes to overzealous skincare is treating exfoliation like a competitive sport. They think “the harder, the better,” but in reality, slow and steady wins over time.
Biking, hiking, tennis, golf, horseback riding or beach volleyball … whatever your summer exercise pleasure is, we say go for it. Exercising increases your circulation, delivers vital nutrients to your skin, reduces stress and slows the aging process.
We all deserve the equal opportunity to look and feel our best, and thanks to great strides in skincare technology, looking younger longer is within reach.
A recent survey found that a major concern for brides as their big day approaches is a wedding breakout.No woman should have to walk down the aisle with a zit on her cheek. What’s the antidote?
Let’s be honest—all the spin classes in the world can’t replace a bike ride in the great outdoors. While we realize the grave importance of practicing safe sun, we’re also not willing to spend our days hibernating in a cave … and we don’t expect you to, either.
Regular exercise should be an important part of every skincare program because it increases circulation, which ensures that vital nutrients are delivered to skin cells.
If your skincare philosophy is “Father Time calls the shots so what’s the use in trying”… think again.