High-quality skincare can make a world of difference in the way you look and feel. But if you’ve been consistently following a Rodan + Fields Regimen and still have some acne, redness or irritation, you may need to make a…
While we tend to think of skin as one part of the body, the truth is skin is very diverse. The thin skin around our eyes behaves very differently than the thick skin on our heels and elbows. Each part of our body, from our forehead to our knees to our toes, has different needs and should be treated as its own cosmetic unit.
The sun may be brighter, hotter and quicker to produce a painful sunburn from mid-morning to late afternoon, but that’s only half the story. While skin-burning UVB rays are at their peak between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., UVA, or “aging,” rays of the sun are present from sun up to sun down and require protection all day long.
Back in the Edwardian era of Downton Abbey, those with fair complexions went to great lengths to protect their skin from the sun. Pale, creamy skin, like that of the Crawley sisters, was a symbol of wealth, whereas a tan, leathery complexion was a demonstrable stigma of the laboring working class.
There was a time when women believed they could do little or nothing about the state of their skin and the ravages of aging. Thanks to advances in skincare science, we now understand that genetics account for just 20% of visible aging changes, and the remaining 80% depend on habits and lifestyle. Today, it is possible to become an active participant in “the march against time” and the quest for healthier, more attractive skin.